The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Saturday, 30 December 1989

1989: Looking Back


‘Flood I’ – Sisters of Mercy


The County Council are after me again for course fees – even though I don’t owe any – and they’re acknowledging no receipt of the letter I sent them.  Bastards.  Freddie has kindly said he’ll sort it out for me.

Gran Sugden’s had a stroke, which has come as a bit of a shock.  This Christmas has been full of it.

Christmas, eh?

Well, 1990’s closing in.  ‘89’s been a good ‘un, even till now: finishing a term with two Distinctions, two successful productions under my belt (Mansfield Park and Strawberry Girl), and what’s been described as an ‘incredibly brilliant’ University reference (not that I’ll be able to do much with it…). 




Then there’s all the stuff that came before: ‘God’ in the Fashion Show, stage managing + cuing Rocky Horror, narrating Under Milk Wood, and the two versions of my big break, The Chinese Play.




The friends of ’89 have been: Julian, Jonny, Spock, Rod Oliver, Ash, Legs, Daniel Abbott, Raquel, Flash, Stan, Donna Davidson, Joni, Minty from St Neots, Kat, and numerous others.

The ‘girls’ of ’89 have been: Emma, Maggie, Natalia, BM Wasp, Gemma Winchester, Lilith MacMillan, Amy Neat, Wendy Mackintosh

There were even famous people: Sylvester McCoy, Nina Myshkow, Kate O’Mara, and Stephen Fry.

It’s been my most successful year in terms of education and vocation; as a theatre creator.  It has been a revealing year on that score.  I’ve lived it to the full, I’m proud to say – and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. 

The 1980s saw me learn about my world and grow within it.  I have loved those years.  I’m sure it’s the decade I shall feel closest to for a long, long time.  The prospect of the 1990s scares me but also has me hoping for further enlightenment.  I shall embrace them.

And, as we approach five years of Ritcherd Winterfood and Danyel ‘Flash’ Gordon, I hope this coming weekend shall be one of our better ones.

I love you, World.

All my love,
Ritcherd xxx

Later:

LATER ON A TRAIN FROM PETERBORO’ TO DONCASTER THAT CHANGES AND THEN GOES TO WAKEFIELD WHERE RITCHERD CAN HOPEFULLY GET A BUS TO CASTLEFORD:

‘PWEIsation’ – Pop Will Eat Itself


Well, Peterboro’ was dismal.  Reminded me of scarab beetles and a right load of shite.  Yeah.  Oh aye, and who should walk into the buffet?  Leon Brittan, MP.
 

Christ on a bike!  Whoooooo!  Cor!  My hero (I’m sure)!  Woogh!

1989: the year of silly hair!

But it’s all ending too soon.  Too fast.  It’s a worry.  I don’t know why.  It’s probably the terminal aspect of it all.  It’s a quarter to five.  I’ll be in Doncaster by 6.15pm, I should guess.  Then in Wakey by 7.15pm at the latest.  And if I get a bus, then Castleford at about, erm, 8.30pm?  What can go wrong?  What mysterious obstacles might oppose me on the way?  Who can tell?  Not I.  It can’t be as bad as 1987, though.  Can it?  Oh god, no!

Anyway, here’s a Merry Christmas to all our readers.

And a happy new year.

Later:

‘Street Tuff’ – The Rebel MC


I came to Flash’s, didn’t I?  And here we are at the end of 1989.  I have met his new dog, Bungle, who isn’t so much, well, horrible as just utterly fucking clumsy.  In fact, Bungle is a nice dog, just very, very irritating. 

Flash has been open and nice and less tetchy than he has been in recent encounters, which was an unexpected relief.  Very good, under the circumstances, as he and Raquel have been going through a ‘strange’ patch and he has decided he now needs his freedom from her.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘New Year’s Eve 1989…’

No comments:

Post a Comment