The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 1 January 1989

New Year's Day 1989


(A SUNDAY)

 

‘The Hounds of Love’ – Kate Bush



 

1988 is really over.

 

This really is 1989.  Welcome all of you.

 

Later:

 


 

[INSIDE!!!

 

GO NAFF AS: Ritcherd starts going out with a new girlfriend!

 

EAT SHITE WHEN: Ritcherd begins work on a new play of his own!

 

SAY “HELLO” TO GOD AS: Ritcherd meets a gorgeous Libran.

 

-          Future Ritcherd]

 

Hello.  I’m Ritcherd Jon Winterfood. 

 

I’m this young man with dreams + passions.

 

I loved 1988.  1989 will be better.

 

‘P-Machinery’ – Propaganda



 

I try to be:

interesting, charming, warm + helpful to other (decent) individuals.  I wish my immature streak would die; I’m trying to be rid of it.  I want to write beautiful plays + novels.

 

My greatest companion is:

Danyel ‘Flash’ Gordon, and we are quite close.  As of Feb 16th, he and I will enter our fifth year as friends.

 

My other ‘great companions’:

ASTRA TRELLIS, DANNY BLACK, DONNA DAVIDSON, SPOCK, ASH, JONNY BADCOCK, SINEAD HOWARTH, KAT HILL, NATALIA WNEK, JOLENE MORSE, CLARISSA NAYLOR.

 

Other friends of notable interest:

MATT JONES, JULIAN WARD, SIMON LEWIS, CHARLOTTE KNEALE, and others, but none that spring to mind just yet…

 

FAVOURITE GROUPS/MUSIC:

KATE BUSH, PROPAGANDA, JAPAN, THE SISTERS OF MERCY, DAVID SYLVIAN, MICK KARN, THE SISTERHOOD, BABY FORD, and THE HUMAN LEAGUE.

I also enjoy peaceful music from the likes of CLANNAD and MIKE OLDFIELD.

(Plus much more)

 

I really enjoy:

TV: DOCTOR WHO, THE PRISONER

Books: THE RAINBOW, WUTHERING HEIGHTS

Brilliant women: KATE BUSH, MARILYN MONROE

 

Love in life,

Ritcherd?

 

haaRLooo!

 

Ritcherd WARS HERE…

 

ooh really?

 

SeND ME A LETTER

 

Later:

 

‘You Spin Me Right Round’ – Dead Or Alive



 

THE STORY SO FAR…

THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS

 

My Holidays were spent mainly in Cirencester at the house of Donna Davidson, with Jonny Badcock, Kat Hill, and my friend Danyel ‘Flash’ Gordon about whom THE CHINESE PLAY was written.

 

By now, Jonny had been cast and consented to playing ‘Flash’ in the forthcoming production (which I was no nearer to completing, having wasted valuable time, in retrospect).  Jonny spent much of the time in Cirencester observing Flash’s actions and mannerisms.  Flash also gave me more general information about his quirky non-adventures at Lola’s Chinese Take-Away.

 

On New Year’s Eve, we all took part in recording a cassette version of The Day Pantomime Ended as The Situation.  This cassette was entitled The Day the Year Ended. 

 

I had intended completing the writing of THE CHINESE PLAY by the end of the holidays.  I knew what I wanted (I was drowning in ideas + notes); but complete it I hadn’t.

 

Later:

 

DEAR DIARY, IT’S…

APPROX 3am.

 

‘Running Up That Hill’ – Kate Bush



 

And, as 1988 ended here in Cirencester, we jovially larked about.

 

Staying with my/our good friend Donna Davidson were myself, college friends Jonny Badcock + Kat Hill, + my greatest friend Danyel ‘Flash’ Gordon.  Jonny + Kat were already in love; Flash + Donna were getting that way…

 

Dorrie rang for Donna, and then Donna’s sister.  It was lovely to speak to her.

 

But my 1st positive, concrete move of ’89 was to ring Natalia Wnek and wish her a happy new year.  It was sad, as she was alone at home; plans to go to London had fallen through.  She was flattered that I’d rung her + she’s going to try + get to see me soon.  The conversation was lovely.  ‘Ooh, you’re just impossible sometimes,’ she said.  I love her lots; like the desert rose...  ‘This has made my 1989,’ she said, ‘All ½ hour of it!’  She likes me, I think.  And I’m happily insane about her.

 

Welcome, 1989.

 

Later:

 

‘The Touchables’ – The Human League



 

Flash and I were closer than ever as New Year’s Day began; as friends ought to be.

 

A fabulous start to 1989 saw us both walking in the evening twilight (on different roads to the other day), conversing + philosophising freely.  We found ourselves approaching the same incredible trees we saw the other day, but from a different angle now, and were almost humbled to hear a flock of sheep communicating + calling to each other; and the same with the correspondence of birds.  A beautiful evening. 

 





 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Farewells…’

No comments:

Post a Comment