The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 30 December 1988

Cheltenham at Christmas


‘Cloudbusting’ – Kate Bush



 

Donna’s place is lovely, apart from Flash and I having to share a very small bed, the quilt upon which just manages to not quite cover two people.  Thus, 1988 is likely to end with flu.

 

Today we ventured into Cheltenham – Donna drove us all in – which was lovely, but I saw some really sexy Goths and my recent cutting of the cord from ‘gothdom’ is beginning to disturb me.  You see I’ve started wearing my cool new blue jeans with my DMs and shirts.  I’ve still got bangles and a bit of eyeliner and stuff, but I’m trying to carve my own image now.  Trouble is, I don’t know what I want or who I am.  And, frankly, those goth girls didn’t look at me twice, which they would have done if I was a goth.  And, yes, I want to be looked at!

 

Flash and I separated ourselves from the others and set out to buy ourselves some late Christmas presents.  Once again, Flash and I ate pizza (this time, of course, in Cheltenham not Peterborough) over which we enjoyed an extremely interesting conversation about our respective searches to find our one true love.  We chatted at some length today, and I think we are destined to be the greatest of friends for a long time to come.  Time will tell.

 


In Cheltenham, Flash came away with an LP collection of HOLLYWOOD HITS and Kate Bush’s THE WHOLE STORY.  I purchased an LP of great British pastoral classical tunes by the UK Symphony Orchestra called GREEN + PLEASANT LAND. 

 


I also bought Kate Bush’s The Whole Story video collection and a Kate Bush interview pic-disc.  Later, it was very good of Donna to kindly give me her copy of The Whole Story LP (‘to accompany the video’), so I now have all KTB’s UK albums.

 


This evening, Donna invited over SINEAD HOWARTH, her wonderful and gorgeous friend.  She came to stay, and was/is very naturally beautiful.  I felt almost ecstatic when she came and sat with us all in the lounge.  But she was tired + I expect she was also bored.  Thus, I felt depressed as she + Donna departed to bed.  Luckily, they allowed me to take the opportunity to follow + talk to them.  We spoke of various things that inspired wonderful feelings in me for Sinead; coaxing great emotions to stir + swirl within my heart.

 





 

 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘New Year’s Eve 1988…’

No comments:

Post a Comment