The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 1 January 1988

New Year's Day 1988


 [ Seek

  HEAVEN

     ON

       EARTH

         WITH

WINTERFOOD

 

SEEK: APRIL 16th and 17th and 18th

FOR LOVE…

 

THE RED LIPSTICK OF AMANDA JONES

THE LOVE OF RITCHERD FLASH MANDA]

 

RITCHERD J WINTERFOOD

 

IS

 

JEZ DECARLO


 

IN

 

1988

WELCOME TO MY SPACEBASE

 

‘the giant Punch diary?’

 

Not

for

the

last

time

MUCH!!!

 

the screaming silver face of  hieronymous

[‘St Jerome?’ – Winterfood, April ‘88]

 

[THANKS, NATALIA… - Winterfood, The Near Future]

 

A YEAR OF GOOD

A YEAR OF LOVE

A YEAR OF HAPPINESS

A YEAR OF STRENGTH

A YEAR OF UNITY

A YEAR OF RESPECT

A YEAR OF ADMIRATION

A YEAR OF FUN

A YEAR OF SUCCESS

A YEAR OF GOD

- that’s his – the Jezzer’s – hope…

 

[a year of house music – Near Future Ritcherd]

 

So…

 

SCREAM LOUDLY AS: [Jez returns and makes his mark on the world!]

SHOUT A LOT WHEN: [Jez gets on very well with Stan Flowers!]

SCREAM LOUDER WHEN: [Jez goes to a gig and meets some pop stars!]

WATCH THE SKY EXPLODE AS: [Things get very complicated with Pauline]

WEE YOUR TROUSERS WHEN: [Flash plays Danny in Grease]

 

‘No Time To Cry’ – The Sisters of Mercy



 

And so I begin my journal of 1988.

 

Hi.  I’m Jez or Ritcherd or whatever.  I’d like to be your friend.  Each and every one of you. 

 

I suppose I’m a Gothic Punk.  I get called that.  And I don’t deny it.  I try to be interesting, charming, witty, helpful and warm-hearted to decent individuals.  All the same, I’m just Ritcherd and I hope I can make 1988 into the best year of my life so far.  Now 1987 is out of the way, I feel as though a great weight has been removed from my shoulders.  I feel refreshed and wish to begin life anew.

 

In 1988 I will be positive.  More than ever.  And I shall get out and do something with my life.  Instead of vegetating at home.

 

My best friend is Danyel ‘Flash’ Gordon, and we have a laugh.  And very often we want to cry.  But we are good mates and will enter our fourth year as such on Feb 16th.

Other mates: Amelia Dalle, Lush, Anastasia, Nyall Watson, Simon Nightingale and many more.

 

FAVOURITE GROUPS: DEATH IN JUNE, STRAWBERRY SWITCHBLADE, THE SISTERS OF MERCY, MARC ALMOND, ALIEN SEX FIEND, THE ZODIAC MOTEL and tons more.  Just loads!

 

LAST LP I GOT: Brown Book by Death In June.

 

It’s 1988. 

 

Enjoy the Experience, tune-in and love,

                                                            Jezebel

                                                            RITCHERD xxx

 

KISS AND TELL


 

So how did the ‘heavy year’ finish?  How did 1987 die?  Did it go out with a bang?  Or did it fitfully crawl across the Wasteland, frothing and foaming at the mouth in quaking throes of death?

 

Well, it was certainly interesting.  Not quite the ‘bang’ Flash and I had wished for, but quite a change from the boring routines I have become used to.

 

If you’ll recall, I had spent Christmas at home in, Wisbech St Mary, with my family, before setting out on December 29th to Castleford, West Yorkshire.  I took the train from Peterborough to Doncaster.  On arrival, I was taken to Danyel Gordon’s where I spent the rest of the day and subsequent night.  On the 30th we visited Leeds, and I purchased some clothes with which I am exceedingly pleased.

 

It was on the 30th that Flash and I reached the decision that we would see the New Year in at The Bell in Norwich.  Flash had found Norwich relaxing and suggested that it would be a lot less dull than a ‘Smoky Cas’ New Year.

 

So we left Castleford at approx 2.30pm on the 31st and after a few ‘adventures’ in places as diverse as Peterborough and Doncaster, we arrived in Norwich at about 10.30pm. 

 

At The Bell, amongst many friends, Naomi Bell and I became mates again.  So it was that we saw in 1988.

 

Following this, Flash and I became two immensely penniless people.  Luckily, Naomi asked us if we’d like to stay at her bedsit after a ‘get together’ at some guy’s house, where I fell asleep.

 

After a frantic drive home, with a complete maniac behind the steering wheel, we arrived at Naomi’s bedsit and went to bed at about 6am.

 

So, 1988 began in Norwich, with Flash and I deciding to make a real good go of it.

 

Up again on New Year’s Day at 2pm, and after lunch, Flash and I decided to go home on the bus to Blackberry Narrow in Wisbech St Mary.  But after a bit of hassle with no buses running, we returned to Naomi’s and asked if we could stay the night again.  She said yes and then we went to The Bell.

 

In The Bell, Fiz (a female) whom I met a while ago, and Sage – whom I had most notably seen around at the Gene Loves Jezebel gig in October – invited us to a party at Jez’s place on Park Lane, after the pubs shut.

 

So Flash and I went to Fiz’s party and, despite the warnings from Naomi and her friend Kaz, we had a great time, whilst they went back to the bedsit.  I spent most of the night talking to Sage and we got really friendly.  Perhaps I got a bit too ‘friendly’ for her liking.  I wish I hadn’t tried to tell her, in so many words, that I liked her a lot, fancied her.  But no real damage was done.  She probably didn’t notice anyway!  She’s nice.  And I leave it at that.  I go no further with Sage Epiphany Edenkind.

 


 

 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Whatever Happened to Naomi Bell?’

No comments:

Post a Comment