The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 31 December 1985

New Year's Eve 1985

New Year’s Eve 1985
It’s a year since my Great Aunty Dorothy died! I wish I’d known her better. I only saw her about 7 or 8 times in my life, so the sense of loss wasn’t great. I’m glad it wasn’t anybody terribly close, but I’m sad for my Granddad Winterfood.

Wow! Wasn’t last year groovy, huh? What about ’85?

Here goes…

The day began very boringly! We all spent the course of the day getting ready for tonight.

At about 7.30pm, we set off to the Sunset Rooms in the village (Wisbech St Mary), to celebrate New Year with Jock, Marlene, Sally and Tony.

In the Rooms there was a half-decent band, and a girl I fancied. I tried chatting to her, but hardly got any reply. Oh well. That left me with no choice but to join the ‘grown-ups’ in drinking and eating and drinking and eating a bit more!

At 11.30pm, I set up my tape recorder to tape the event. We drank some more, and then, as we all stood up on the dance floor, Big Ben (on the radio) chimed 12 times…

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders / While based on true life events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the 1980s, this blog is a work of fiction. Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is also non-profit and all video clips are used for illustrative and contextual purposes / No copyright infringement is intended.]

No comments:

Post a Comment